Thursday, November 29, 2007

Knitting Photography

One of the things I really love about Ravelry is that I can meticulously catalog all my knitting projects. I'm just that sort of person; I want to see everything I've done all lined up so I can quantify my accomplishments. It's like having a list, which is so very satisfying!

But, as I started happily uploading pictures to my account, I realized that I wasn't pleased with what I saw. My photographs of my knitting are embarrasing! I have absolutely no photography experience and no clue how to use my camera and it really, really shows. So, I found this group on Ravelry called "Yarnographers" who are dedicated to the discussion of photographing yarn. I poked around on their group and learned a few things just by doing that. So now I am on a mission to improve my "yarnography!" My first improvement was to this picture of my most recently-started project:

The second image is far from amazing, I know, but it's an improvement! I had bad lighting, but I actually turned on the macro setting and then futzed with the color balance in PSP. And, of course, the composition is more interesting.

Since I don't have tons of projects yet, I will try to re-photograph my FOs and make better pictures. My true test will be to try to make my very first project, which is uglier than homemade sin in real life, look good. ;)

1 comment:

Dipsy Doodle said...

I had a look at your knit-photography up until this entry and don't think at all that it was embarrassing! But I have to admit, the pic that you did now of the yarn looks even better! There's always room for improvement indeed - and as I feel that my knitting photography isn't the best either, I'm very grateful that you shared the link to that Rabelry group - I will *so* check it out and give the ideas a try too! Thanks for the inspiration!

Dipsy D.
http://www.millharrow.com

 
Designed by Lena